We are aware that chiefs had to sign their CA’s whilst they have to accept various clauses that manufacture consent for these proposed legislative bills:
- Bill C-45 Job and Growth Act (Indian Act in bill)
- Bill C-27 First Nations Financial Transparency Act
- Bill S-2 Family Homes on Reserve and Matrimonial Interests or Right Act
- Bill S-6 First Nations Elections Act
- Bill S-8 Safe Drinking Water for First Nations
- Bill C-428 Indian Act Amendment and Replacement Act
- Bill S-207 An Act to amend the Interpretation Act
- Bill S-212 First Nations Self-Government Recognition Bill & the “First Nations” Private Ownership Act
What other clauses did they have to agree to in their CA?
- Accept that First Nations are solely responsible once funds ‘transferred’
- Accept changes ‘time to time’ to original agreement without proper review or negotiation (i.e.: time limited to sign a CA; usually a week)
- Accept a tripartite relationship – was Federal & First Nation; now includes Province
- Sign without non-derogation clauses included as per prior agreements
- Accept under ‘duress’ for fear of being placed under 3rd party management
INM Saskatchewan will work towards informing and educating, Members of First Nations & their allies, on the negative consequences of administrative actions such as Band Council Resolutions, land leases, economic development agreements, Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Intent, and all other agreements that do not have the free and prior informed consent of the Membership. These actions are further derogation of the spirit and intent of the treaties that further undermine Nation to Nation agreements.