IdleNoMore has sent out a call for mass action!!! This event would be in solidarity with the 6 calls for change of #SovSummer. The Native American Rights Movement is asking for endorsement and participation.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR THE EXACT TIME OF THE EVENT PLEASE CHECK FACEBOOK EVENT LINK AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST
Since 3 of the 6 calls for change are focused on First Nations of Canada and their relationship, we would like to alter/add some for our local fight. Modifications between Asterisk.
1. Repeal provisions of Bill C-45 (including changes to the Indian Act and Navigable Waters Act, which infringe on environmental protections, Aboriginal and Treaty rights) and abandon all pending legislation which does the same.
2. Deepen democracy in Canada *and the United States* through practices such as proportional representation and consultation on all legislation concerning collective rights and environmental protections, and include legislation which restricts corporate interests.
3. In accordance with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples’ principle of free, prior, and informed consent, respect the right of Indigenous peoples to say no to development on their territory.
4. Cease its policy of extinguishment of Aboriginal Title and recognize and affirm Aboriginal Title and Rights, as set out in section 35 of Canada’s constitution, and recommended by the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples.
5. Honour the spirit and intent of the historic Treaties. Officially repudiate the racist Doctrine of Discovery and the Doctrine of Terra Nullius, and abandon their use to justify the seizure of Indigenous Nations lands and wealth.
6. Actively resist violence against women and hold a national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, and involve Indigenous women in the design, decision-making, process and implementation of this inquiry, as a step toward initiating a comprehensive and coordinated national action plan.*Justice for Faith Hedgepth*.
*7. Federal Recognition for North Carolina tribes and nations. Support Virginia tribes federal recognition bill!!*
North Carolina has the largest population of indigenous peoples east of the Mississippi. These peoples have been the focus of direct and systematic racism, prejudice, and disenfranchisement.
How to help?
SPREAD THE CALL AND COME!! Invite people, family, friends. Contact allied organizations. Bring a drum!
1 E Edenton St
Raleigh, NC 27601
Google map and directions