More Info on the Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1562556280663219/
Five years since the beginning of the BP disaster, the Gulf’s people and wildlife continue to reel from the impacts of BP’s negligence. Coastal residents are struggling to maintain their livelihoods and culture, while they wrestle with health problems from exposure to oil and toxic chemical dispersants.
The abundant oyster, shellfish and finfish populations that helped sustain coastal communities for generations have yet to return to their pre-disaster levels. Scientists are documenting ongoing impacts on the Gulf’s ecosystems, including unusually high numbers of dolphin deaths.
In the face of this devastation, Gulf coast residents are banding together and rising up to call for the restoration of our Gulf communities, cultures and environment. BP must stop lying and pay what they owe. The oil and gas industry must be held accountable for their ongoing desecration of our bioregion, and ultimately we must work towards a just transition to a more sustainable clean energy economy.
Full list of events below with specific event links, many levels of participation - there's room for everyone.
Wednesday, April 15
- NATIONAL DAY ECONOMIC JUSTICE/COMMUNITY BILL TO BP, NEW ORLEANS, LA (https://www.facebook.com/events/1595931010649095/)
Thursday, April 16
- LOUISIANA RISING!, BATON ROUGE, LA (https://www.facebook.com/events/368577856677268/)
- COME FISH OFF MY BOAT - BAY ST. LOUIS, MS
Friday, April 17
- CRY YOU ONE PERFORMS IN MASON PARK (4/17- 19), HOUSTON, TX (http://countercurrentfestival.org/festival-overview/cry-one/)
- COME FISH OFF MY BOAT - BILOXI, MS
Saturday, April 18
- NOLA EARTH DAY FESTIVAL& SOLAR DERBY, NEW ORLEANS, LA (https://www.facebook.com/events/1559287707653442/)
- FAMILY FEST COMMUNITY CELEBRATION, MASON PARK, HOUSTON, TX
- COME FISH OFF MY BOAT - HOUMA, LA
Sunday, April 19
- COMMUNITY GATHERING - FIVE YEAR EVENT, CODEN, AL (https://www.facebook.com/events/921306071249083/)
- SOUTH PADRE ISLAND EVENTS, TX (https://www.facebook.com/events/1392449551076043/)
- COME FISH OFF MY BOAT - VENICE, LA
Monday, April 20
- THE GULF REMEMBERS - 5 YEAR MEMORIAL OF THE BP DISASTER AT BP HQ, HOUSTON, TX (https://www.facebook.com/events/657556231039458/)
- SOAKED IN OIL PARADE/RIVER CEREMONY, NEW ORLEANS, LA (https://www.facebook.com/events/1539048623010656/)
- WATER CEREMONY & SUNSET VIGIL, PENSACOLA BEACH, FL (https://www.facebook.com/events/450183065138365/)
- COME FISH OFF MY BOAT - VENICE, LA (TENTATIVE)
- FIFTH YEAR REMEMBRANCE - DAVANT, LA
Tuesday, April 21
- END TOXIC DISPERSANT USE DAY OF ACTION, NATIONAL
- COME FISH OFF MY BOAT - BAYOU LA BATRE & CODEN, AL
- 87 DAYS OF ACTION BEGINS, NATIONAL
Wednesday, April 22 +
- EARTH DAY - GC CALL OUT FOR A JUST TRANSITION, REGIONAL
- TALLAHASSEE SCIENTIFIC SOCIETY HORIZONS 2015, FL (4/23) (http://search.tallahassee.com/localevents/event/100/95247-5TH-ANNIVERSARY-DEEPWATER-HORIZONS-PANEL-DISCUSSION)
Please share and invite others!
To make a donation for supplies and to help provide transportation to affected Gulf Coast community members, please go to https://www.everribbon.com/bpat5