We Have the Right to say NO!
5 pm - meet at SE corner of Trinity Bellwood Park.
We will potluck picnic until 6:15
with speeches and music
Music by Matty Powell, Mama D
Speeches by Tantoo Cardinal, Aaron Detlor, Judy Rebick and more
Spoken WOrd by Billie Jo Tobabadung, Jamaias Da Costa, Phil Cote
6:15 We will parade with big puppets...bring your own costumes if you like! The route is across Dundas to Bay ST.
7pm - Ryerson Nation to Nation talks (dundas and bay)
Dr. Pam Palmater, Chair, Centre for Indigenous Governance, Ryerson University
• Alanis Obomsawin, Documentary filmmaker,
• Josh Kendrick, Youth artist from Neskantaga First Nation
Lets start building the world we want to live in - together - we do not need anyone's permission!
We will start at the opening of Trinity Bellwoods Park where there is a map of Garrison Creek. We want to draw attention to the Indigenous histories of toronto - our old waterways - which have been buried in our sewers. We hold water sacred!
As some of you know we held a national INM and Defenders of land and other grassroots leaders meeting on August 17 called Building Unity To Action. After a beautiful and exhausting day of building consensus we came up with October 7.
There are a number of reasons
1) Anniversary of the royal proclamation (Aboriginal title in European and Canadian law)
2) The United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Professor James Anaya, will carry out an official visit to Canada from 7 to 15 October 2013. The aim of the Special Rapporteur's visit to Canada is to examine the human rights situation of the indigenous peoples of the country.
3) its right before the hearings on LINE 9
There was much discussion about the movement as a spiritual movement and to keep cultural protocol central.
The main theme for October 7 is "We Have the Right To Say NO." We want Canada to follow the necessity of Free and prior informed consent before developing Indigenous lands. We go even further to say it is only First Nations who have a right to decide what happens in their territories. There are a number of communities who have begun asserting their jurisdiction in their own lands. This is the meaning of October 7.
Our event will be kid and family friendly in keeping with our directions from our elders.
Gore Vale Avenue and Queen St W
Toronto, ON M6J
Google map and directions